Tuesday, January 23, 2007

A Cabin in the Forest Part 3 (No Pixie Dust needed)

The weather forecast had been correct. Since there was an abundance of sunshine my clients did some "outdoorsy" things, and pretty much left me to work on the front porch with few interruptions.

When I finished the porch, there had been just the standard wood floor. That of course would have been normal, but did not fit these two Pixies. Once again Andara and Saoirse felt that modifications were needed. I discovered the next morning, that the porch now had a dirt floor!



They explained that there were no wood floors in the forest and they did not want their new home to make them home sick for the woods. They were busily installing a "dirt floor" (a must in the house) that would go better with the tree in the middle of the living room. Since the girls go around barefooted all the time, this would also prevent them getting slivers. They did make a concession, and agreed that "carpet" would be nice in the loft bedrooms. Something in a nice "foresty" color, they said, so I have ordered a nice leaf green shag for the loft.



The mystery of access to the loft bedrooms was also solved. Who but forest living Pixies would have thought of vine and twig ladders. Apparently they had used these in the woods and feel quite comfortable climbing them.





Rather ingeniously they had devised a way to pull them up, out of the way when they were not in use. I suspect that their "Grandmothers" must have taught them these skills, as the ladders contain a lot of "Granny Knots", (Yuck, Yuck).


Saoirse thinks they also make a great toy.



You can bet that the next time I build a "Pixie" home (IF EVER), I'll be asking a lot more questions , before I start. I may be removing my business ad from "Modern Home and Pixie" magazine.

No comments: